The Ontario/Baden-Württemberg (OBW) program offers three different kinds of opportunity for Ontario students to experience a part of their university education at a partner university in Baden-Württemberg. Information on each of these opportunities can be found here.
This page concentrates primarily on students who participate in our most ambitious, and longest-established, program: the OBW Student Exchange, in which students live and study in Germany for one or two full semesters. We also offer shorter-stay programs. Information on all three programs is available here.
We encourage all eligible and qualified undergraduate and graduate Ontario students to apply. The program is open to students in all academic disciplines with the exceptions of medicine and dentistry. Undergraduate students must have completed a minimum of 2 years of study at their home university.
Who are OBW students?
Exchange students remain full-time degree-seeking students at their home university. As such, they pay tuition fees at their home university, but not at their host university (though some student fees will be payable there). It is students’ responsibility to ensure, in consultation with their academic advisors, that they continue to make good progress toward degree completion while studying at the partner university in Germany.
Participants should possess a knowledge of German appropriate to their academic objectives. Ideally this means the equivalent of two years of university-level instruction, but we have had good experience with students who had somewhat less German when they began their exchange. If in doubt, please ask us, and we will advise you on the possibilities. (Please note that there is no German-language prerequisite for our shorter-stay programs.)
Every student who applies to participate in the OBW program has her or his own important academic and personal reasons for doing so. There are however a number of goals that many of them share. If the following apply to you, we hope that you too will decide to apply to study in Germany:
- you want to make your university education something very special, to accept a new challenge, and to experience life in another part of the world;
- you are interested in living and studying in one of Germany’s and Europe’s most beautiful, prosperous, culturally dynamic, and technologically advanced regions;
- you want to enhance your future marketability by gaining international experience and developing your cross-cultural competence;
- you are excited about being an ambassador in Germany for your home university, for the OBW program, and for the Province of Ontario; and
- you want to be a member of a group of students from across Ontario selected to participate in the OBW program on the basis of their academic achievements, extracurricular involvement, and outstanding personal qualities.
What are the advantages to studying in Germany with OBW?
Students who are accepted to participate in the OBW program enjoy the following privileges:
- expert advising and support on both sides of the Atlantic;
- expedited admission to one of Germany’s great universities;
- guaranteed bursary or scholarship support through the OBW program;
- a preparatory language-immersion course and local orientation at the host university, immediately prior to the beginning of the semester proper;
- preferential placement in a student residence;
- a pre-departure OBW orientation weekend in Toronto in May;
- continued eligibility for OSAP, as well as for OGS, SSHRC, etc. scholarship support;
- continued eligibility for scholarships held at the home university (subject to that university’s policies);
- eligibility for consideration for further scholarships/bursaries at the host university (please note: such scholarships are not guaranteed).