The Ontario/Baden-Württemberg (OBW) program offers Baden-Württemberg students the opportunity to experience a part of their university education at a partner university in Ontario. Participants normally spend two academic terms (September to April) studying in Canada. A limited number of nominations will however be accepted for one-term participation; such nominations are at the discretion of the applicant's home university.
We encourage all eligible and qualified Baden-Württemberg students to apply. The program is open to students in all academic disciplines with the exceptions of medicine and dentistry.
Photo: Mark Webber
Who are OBW students?
Exchange students come to Ontario as “non-degree-seeking” or “special” students, whose academic objective remains the completion of their degree at their home university. As such, they do not pay tuition fees at their host university (though student and incidental fees will be payable there). It is students’ responsibility to ensure, in consultation with their academic advisors, that they continue to make good progress toward degree completion while studying at the partner university in Canada.
Participants should possess a sound knowledge of English and/or French that will enable them to succeed in their academic work in Ontario.
Every student who applies to participate in the OBW program has her or his own important academic and personal reasons for doing so. There are however a number of goals that many of them share. If the following apply to you, we hope that you too will decide to apply to study in Ontario:
- you want to make your university education something very special, to accept a new challenge, and to experience life in another part of the world;
- you are interested in living and studying in one of North America’s most beautiful, prosperous, culturally dynamic, and technologically advanced regions;
- you want to enhance your future marketability by gaining international experience and developing your cross-cultural competence;
- you are excited about being an ambassador in Canada for your home university, for the OBW program, and for Baden-Württemberg; and
- you want to be a member of a group of students from across Baden-Württemberg selected to participate in the OBW program on the basis of their academic achievements, extracurricular involvement, and outstanding personal qualities.
What are the advantages to studying in Canada with OBW?
Students who are accepted to participate in the OBW program enjoy the following privileges:
- expert advising and support on both sides of the Atlantic;
- expedited admission to one of Ontario’s participating universities;
- preferential placement in a student residence;
- participation in the pre-departure OBW orientation in Baden-Württemberg in May/June; and
- participation in the legendary “welcome” event and orientation in Toronto in late August.